Friday, June 17, 2005

Sunrise & Sunset

Being an avid photographer, I like to watch and capture pictures of sunrises and sunsets. Each has its own beauty and charm, and no two sunrises or sunsets are the same. You might not have time to watch the sunrise, since you would have to wake up very early in the morning to catch it. But I am sure you have seen many sunsets, or at least seen the dusk twilight - the sun's rays reflected through the clouds after the sun has set and is below the horizon. I personally like the look of sunsets better, from the visual point of view. The colours exuded from the sun's setting rays through the clouds can be of diverse colours of pink, purple, orange, yellow, magenta, red, fiery etc. I simply love to take sunset pictures. Sunrises, on the other hand, gives me a different kind of feeling. A sunrise signifies the dawn of a brand new day. It gives me the assurance that God has granted me to see another sunrise yet another time. Watching the sun slowly rising from the horizon gives me a sense of anticipation and fills my heart with hope that I will see a perfect sunrise.

Another thing I noticed about sunrises and sunsets is that the process can take very long. Hmmm, why do I say that? In order not to miss a good sunrise, I will usually be there much earlier than the actual rise time. I will choose the best spot and with my camera ready on my tripod. The wait will seem very long. Bit by bit the clouds brighten up. The sun's reflected rays start to shine through the clouds. Then the top arc of the golden egg yolk appears, slowly above the horizon. It inches up a little at a time, and suddenly the whole golden egg yolk breaks out of the hozizon or cloud and there you have it - the perfect sunrise. It is the reverse for sunsets, but the feeling can be similar, though sunset signifies the end of a perfect day (was it? HA).

Have you watched the sun rise or set recently? Perhaps you should try it. Watch it with your family (if they are crazy enough to wake up early), or watch it with a loved one. I am sure they will like it, and so would you. There are times when we simply need to escape from the hustle and bustle of our hectic life to go watch the sun rise and set. Have you also wondered how sunrises and sunsets come about? Are they the works of someone? Ponder Ponder........

I share with you some pictures of sunrises and sunsets I have taken over the years. I have more, but I will reserve them for other occasions :)


Sunrise viewed at Pasir Ris Park with anglers in the foreground - taken on 1 Jan 2004


Sunrise viewed through tress while almost reaching the summit of Mount Ophir - taken in May 2005


Sunset view from West Coast Park on the first day of CNY 04


Dusk Twilight above a lake in Switzerland - 2002

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I must admit that I have not watched many sunrise, somehow my bed seems to have a magnetic force that simply refuse to loose it's hold on me, ... hmm.. no, I think it is not magnet, it's super-glue!

Another excuse from me? Haha.. of course it is an excuse, I am very good at that! Perhaps, many of us are good in giving excuses too... That's why many beautiful and wonderful things pass us by, without us realising? I think so wor...

So perhaps, we should try to wake up earlier and catch the sunrise once in a while, open our eyes and minds, perhaps we will begin to take notice of the countless wonders around us!

Thank you for sharing the pictures, they are unique in their own way. I like the color of the 3rd picture, taken at West Coast Park best, it's very striking. And the pinkish clouds in the 4th picture reminds me of candy floss hanging in the sky! Hmm.. feeling hungry liao. Of course, it's lunchtime! :p