Monday, May 30, 2005

Remote Control Planes

I went to Bedok Reservoir over the last two weekends and find the slopes there very quiet. Many months ago, I started to learn how to play the guitar on my own. With the help of friends, I managed to strum a few songs. On quite a few occasions, I would bring my guitar to the slopes of Bedok Reservoir to strum my guitar and watch many enthusiasts fly their remote control planes. I would bring a ground sheet, lay it below a tree, and relax there, strumming the guitar and watching the planes zoom up and down across the sky. The number of enthusiasts grew. There was one weekend where I saw more than 10 planes up in the sky! It was relaxing watching them.


2 colorful remote control planes high up in the sky


Another colourful/fierce-looking remote control plane

My camera was usually with me, so I loaded my zoom lens and managed to catch some nice shots of the planes. They come in many different shapes and sizes, some of them with a wing span of up to 2.5 m or more!

But they are all gone! I stopped going to the reservoir to exercise and relax in the past month because we were busy with our Mount Ophir training at Bedok Stadium and Bukit Timah Hill. I wonder what happened to all the enthusiasts. Did the authorities stop them from flying the planes because some incidents happened? I didn't feel it was very dangerous, minus the occasional near misses when the plane "crashes" near me. I sort of miss the planes as I could just sit there strumming my guitar and watch them soar in the sky. What a waste. Hope those guys will be back one day.

No comments: